Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Twelve

I'm supposed to be doing laundry now. I'm supposed to be doing laundry but I'm putting it off because I just looked at the computer and thought that I'd rather write something on my blog about the past month than smile and joke at the hispanic lady who manages the laundry mat and say "excuse me" to some white shmuck who is doing his laundry too while trying to get to a machine. So many things have been happening to me and around me lately and I don't possess the self discipline or the desire to sit down and write about them. Let's list a few since if I don't get up and do the laundry my day will go landslide into waste. Work is slow. One of my good friends moved to Greece. My brother in law visited Artemis and I. At the tail end of his trip, we had Artemis' cousin Georgia and her best friend Litsa also stay at our place. Litsa has an amputated leg due to cancer six years ago (when she was twelve). She has no insurance and outgrew the prosthetic she had, and her parents' house where she lives, caught fire recently. Just the parts to a new prosthetic would cost her 40,000. Just the parts, not the labor to assemble them and whatever needs to be done in order for it to work. Until then she uses a walker. Needless to say, she doesn't have that kind of money lying around. Going up and down stairs is extremely difficult for her and heartbreaking to witness. Due to the weather it was very difficult to get out during the rain, but I hope if and when she visits again the weather will be cooperative. Some musician friends of mine and I played a benefit for her to raise some money for her. If anyone actually reads this and can donate something to her please let me know.

As far as anything else goes. I've been studying Goya and Velazquez. I started with Goya and have decided to look at Velazquez first. I'm reading Velazquez the Technique of Genius alongside Velazquez the complete paintings. Velazquez says so much. Goya too. I wonder about the spanish painting and painters. Velazquez= giant. Goya= giant. Picasso= giant. Lopez Garcia= giant. I'm going to eat and do laundry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment