Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Eleven

Looking at Jenny Saville's book I look at her paintings and one of the things that leaps in my head doing a little tap-dance is the thought of Francis Bacon, and that eventually leads to Picasso. Nearly everyone has heard of Picasso. It is safe to say that Pablito is probably the most influential artist that ever lived, if not the greatest, and while he was a contradictory childish asshole, he was also ferociously intelligent and viciously driven to make art. This dichotomy reverberates, I believe through the past few decades and will continue to do so long after I'm dead. There are richer artists now sure, but I don't believe they'll last despite what Charles Saatchi thinks.



The only other artist equally gigantic in my eyes is Kandinsky. The only reason Kandinsky has not and is not lauded on is that he died (1944) before our modern era began whereas Picasso died in 1973. Kandinsky's output was nowhere near Picasso's. And Kandinsky wasn't the showman Picasso was. Shoot me, but I'd much prefer to look at a Kandinsky than a Pollock.

Jenny Saville:



Francis Bacon:



Picasso:



Kandinsky:



Pollock:



That's all for now. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment