Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thirteen

I hate religion. I don't care about the Greek gods, I don't care about Buddha, Jesus, Yahweh, Zoroaster. (To me) Religion is cult with political power. I have no problem with cult. Hey if you're in a cult that worships pink elephants I can respect that. I can respect personal madness because we're all crazy to some extent or another. When cult is embraced by political leaders then I have a big problem.

All of what I've said till now has nothing to do with my main point which is Michelangelo Buonarroti. I have a love hate relationship with Mike. I sometimes hate the perfection he strove for, even though I am amazed by his work. I have a feeling Mike would have resented himself being perceived as this great religious artist. Yes we all know he painted the Sistine Chapel and the Last Judgment. We all know of the amazing Pieta. Frankly I don't care for them much. Big ego in artistic works bore me. There are two things which Mike's done which I am completely in awe about. I think his greatest sculpture is this one, titled the awakening slave:

and his silverpoint drawings, this being one of them. Silverpoint, for those who don't know, is drawing with something like a silver pencil. The surface you draw on has to prepared in a specific way. When the silver touches the surface of the paper, wall, etc. it makes a mark. It can't be erased. Once you screw up that's it, it's there for good.



Anyway. That all said, here's something despite the ego, despite the brouhaha, despite all I said and believe, you'll all appreciate.

Never say I never did anything nice for you.

Enjoy.

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment